Did you hear? Dekalb Market is launching as a multi-purpose cultural destination featuring a new outdoor event space with a full season of free, curated music, art, food, film and eclectic experiences in the heart of Downtown Brooklyn.
Dekalb Market 2012 will include: Dance parties, free open-air markets, unique foodie events, bike in movie nights, lobster boils, roller derbies and an ongoing series of special live music performances. All of this alongside the new permanent Dekalb Market Beer & Wine Garden, featuring local craft beer, wine and sangria, the ideal spot to hang out with friends, relax in the sun and take a break from shopping, set against the gritty-cool urban backdrop of downtown Brooklyn.
Open seven days a week, locals and visitors can now spend a leisurely morning, afternoon or evening while enjoying a Robicelli’s Cupcake along with a cup of Joe or partake in Maharlika’s Filipino street food while browsing among the additional 45 retail shops including Etsy Collective, YakBlak, Hank & JoJo, Harriet’s Alter Ego and Pip & Estella.
Situated over an entire square block – voted best New York Architecture of 2011 by New York Observer – Dekalb Market is built from recycled shipping containers converted into over 60 food & retail shops which frame a distinct space for this year’s outdoor events and programs.
SPRING WEEKENDER // APRIL 7th & 8th // 10 – 6pmSPRING WEEKENDER will be held April 7 – 8 to celebrate the inaugural market in 2012. The two-day extravaganza will be host a myriad of activities including:
* 40 retail & food outdoor vendors showcasing arts & crafts, antiques, new & vintage clothing, jewelry, furniture, prints and more
* A curated flower and garden market
* Classes & workshops for adults and children centered around cooking, farming, gardening, and crafting
* Easter activities including a market wide Easter egg hunt
* Live music from local bands & DJ sets
* Beer & wine garden featuring local brews
Other exciting programming we have planned for this year include:
With a capacity for 2000 revelers and a state of the art sound system, Dekalb Market will be a one of a kind Brooklyn destination for live music, festivals and parties alike. A taste of what’s in store:
* Dance parties Sunday afternoons
* 60 open-air vendor markets adding to the roster of amazing local food & retail merchants
* Live concerts weekly both ticketed and free
* Bike in movie nights
* Lobster boils hosted by Red Hook Lobster pound
* Roller derby hosted by Down & Derby
* Twilight Market
* 718 Sessions // Dance party
* Good Room // Interior Design Show
* Vegan Shop Up // Vegan food & retail market
* Brooklyn Busk
* Rooftop Films
* Food Competitions & Festivals
* Contra Dance
FARM // PRODUCE PICK UP // INCUBATOR KITCHEN
Dekalb Farm is a collaborative project that unites members of the Urban Agricultural community to provide fresh produce and public workshops to market goers. Additionally, it is home to Food 360, a farm-to-table job-training program run by Family Cook Productions and housed in a brand-new incubator kitchen designed by Marketshare. The kitchen will eventually become a functional space for local makers, entrepreneurs and culinary professionals to prepare their products for sale at the market. Just another way Dekalb Market is bridging makers, artists, farmers, chefs and the community!
Weekly produce pick-ups will be organized by Plovgh and will have a weekly theme correlating with the crops available that week. There will also be monthly programming centered around farming.